NLP Stories and Metaphor
Using stories to influence, teach, entertain, and transform
Stories and metaphors are some powerful ways we can influence people when we want to motivate them and spark their creativity.
We’ve developed 7 story structures to use in a variety of situations:
- Simple state change. To help our audience move from a dis-empowered state to an empowered state.
- Teaching tale. A softer, but often more powerful way to teach.
- Metaphor. Access our clients’ unconscious resources.
- State strategy. Sometimes it’s too much of a jump to move between, say, sadness and happiness in one go. However, we may be able to make that jump if we tell a story with a number of additional states. For example, sadness to curiosity to action to happiness.
- Case studies. SOARA is a classic way of presenting case studies. Tell a case study in sequence: Situation and Implication, Objective, Action, Result and Aftermath. When we tell them correctly our listeners’ brains resonate.
- Nested loops. We can embed suggestions when we switch between various stories.
- The Hero’s Journey is a classic archetypal structure that relates to our life journey.
Four articles about NLP stories and metaphor
In these 4 articles, masters in the art of storytelling share their techniques.
If you are interested in NLP stories and metaphor, or in how NLP can change your life and career, then read more on our other NLP websites NLP Technique | Stories and Storytelling or get in touch with Michael for a free, no obligation chat.