Networking is a key skill. How do we get better at it?
Networking is a key business and life skill. A part of networking is stakeholder management, which is a major part of business success.
Some key thoughts on networking:
- Create a list of people who you would like to meet.
- Create a reason or excuse for meeting them (an NLP modelling project or a research project can be great reasons).
- Work out some key questions you want to ask.
- Carry out at least some initial research. (LinkedIn can be a good start)
- Contact them for a short meeting. (Email and phone and a combination of both can work)
- Meet them. Respect their time.
- Always thank them (for their time and thoughts. ) Consider asking if they know anyone else you should ask.
- Always work to keep the door open for another meeting.
- If you’ve put into action anything they’ve suggested, get in touch and let them know.
- Incorporate social media into your approaches.
How can NLP help?
You can use NLP approaches to:
- Speed up rapport and trust
- Mentally rehearse your approach at meetings
- Ask better questions by (respectfully) using the Meta Model
- Leave them feeling good by using your state management skills
NLP Networking – six expert views
Learn more from our interviews with successful networkers.
If this has stimulated an interest in learning more about NLP and how it can make a difference to your life and career, you can read more on our other NLP sites: What is Neuro Linguistic Programming? NLP Coaching and NLP Training